Titular de Universidad
Brief Biographical Note
B.S. and M.S. in Physics and Mathematics with Honours at Moscow State University 'Lomonosov', Russia (1995). PhD. Mathematics with Honours at Carlos III University, Spain (1999). Research interests: Approximation theory, orthogonal polynomials, special functions, Fourier analysis, analytic number theory. In the period 2003-2008 Prof. J. Arvesú was granted with a 'Ramon y Cajal' research fellowship (probably the most prestigious Spanish fellowship for young scientists -launched by the Spanish government in 2001). He has held four visiting positions: adjunct researcher at Baylor University (Waco, Texas), visiting professor at Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences (New York University), visiting professor at the School of Mathematics (Gatech, Atlanta) and visiting associate professor at Dept. of Math. and Stats (Utah State University, Utah). J. Arvesú's research papers and books can be found below. To date, he has advised two PhD. Theses and two master Theses, and he has guided two research projects and participated in other 12 (both European and Spanish). Prof. J. Arvesú has taken part in more than 30 international conferences, and he has organized with other colleagues 5 international workshops, OPSFA'11 and a summer school at Carlos III university. Several international stays (10-long-term and 7-short-term) configure his vision about other recognized institutions worldwide, mainly from Europe and US. His teaching activity cover several undergraduate and graduate courses in Mathematics.
Teaching courses (2017/2018): Advanced Mathematics II and Calculus II.
Granted Research Projects as Research Director
- Hermite-Padé Approximation, non-standard orthogonality and applications (Granted by Comunidad Autónoma de Madrid and University Carlos III). January 1-December 31, 2008. Project Reference: CCG07-UC3M/ESP-3339. Number of Researchers: 15
- Hermite-Padé Approximation, non-standard orthogonality and applications -continuation of the previous grant- (Granted by Comunidad Autónoma de Madrid and University Carlos III). January 1-December 31, 2009. Number of Researchers: 7
List of Publications
- Álgebra lineal y aplicaciones (Linear Algebra and Applications, in Spanish, with R. Álvarez-Nodarse, and F. Marcellán). Síntesis, 1999 (ISBN: 84-7738-702-8). (Book).
- Problemas Resueltos de Álgebra Lineal (Solved Problems in Linear Algebra, in Spanish, with F. Marcellán, and J. Sánchez). Thomson, 2005 (ISBN: 84-9732-284-3). (Book).
- Special Volume on Orthogonal Polynomials and Approximation Theory (Edited with R. Álvarez-Nodarse, and F. Marcellán). Electronic Transaction on Numerical Analysis. Kent State University, USA., 2005 (ISBN: 1068-9613). (Book).
- Special Volume on Orthogonal Polynomials and Mathematical Physics (Edited with R. Álvarez-Nodarse, and F. Marcellán). Electronic Transaction on Numerical Analysis. Kent State University, USA, 2006 (ISBN: 1068-9613). (Book).
- Special Volume on Orthogonal Polynomials and Approximation Theory (Edited with A. Martínez-Finkelshtein, F. Marcellán). Contemporary Mathematics, vol. 507, American Mathematical Society, R.I., USA., 2009 (ISBN: 978-0-8218-4803-6). (Book).
- Recent Advances in Orthogonal Polynomials, Special Functions, and Their Applications (with G. López Lagomasino Eds). 11-th International Symposium. August 29-September 2, 2011. Contemporary Mathematics, Vol. 578. Amer. Math. Soc. Providence, R.I., 2012.
- Problemas Resueltos de Álgebra Lineal (Solved Problems in Linear Algebra, in Spanish, with F. Marcellán, and J. Sánchez). Paraninfo, 2015 (ISBN: 978-84-283-3526-3). Short version (Book).
- Laguerre polynomials in a relativistic quantum-statistical model. M. Alfaro et al. Eds. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Orthogonal Polynomials in Mathematical Physics, 1996.
- Jacobi-Sobolev type orthogonal polynomials: Second order differential equation and zeros (with R. Álvarez-Nodarse, F. Marcellán, and K. Pan). Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 90, pp. 137-158, 1998.
- Some extension of the Bessel-type orthogonal polynomials (with R. Álvarez-Nodarse, F. Marcellán, and K. H. Kwon). Integral Transforms and Special Functions, 7, pp. 191-214, 1998.
- On the q-polynomials in the exponential lattice (with R. Álvarez-Nodarse). Integral Transforms and Special Functions, 8, pp. 299-324, 1999.
- On the connection and linearization problem for hypergeometric q-polynomials (with R. Álvarez-Nodarse, and R. Yánez). Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, 257, pp. 52-78, 2001.
- Recent trends in orthogonal polynomials and their applications (with F. Marcellán) XVII CEDYA: Congress on Differential Equations and Applications/VII CMA: Congress on Applied Mathematics, pp. 127-155, Salamanca, 2001.
- On a modification of the Jacobi linear functional: asymptotic properties and zeros of the corresponding orthogonal polynomials (with F. Marcellán, R. Álvarez-Nodarse). Acta Applicandae Mathematicae, 71, pp. 127-158, 2002.
- On the right-definite and left-definite spectral theory of the Legendre polynomials (with L. L Littlejohn, and F. Marcellán). Journal of Computational Analysis and Applications, 4, pp. 363-387, 2002.
- On Semiclassical Linear Functionals: The Symmetric Companion (with J. Atia, and F. Marcellán). Communications in the Analytic Theory of Continued Fractions, 10, pp. 13-20, 2002.
- Some discrete multiple orthogonal polynomials (with J. Coussement, and W. Van Assche). Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 153, pp. 19-45, 2003.
- On two models of orthogonal polynomials and their applications (with F. Marcellán). Boletín de la Sociedad Española de Matemática Aplicada, 23, pp. 35-71, 2003.
- Modifications of quasi-definite linear functionals via addition of delta and derivatives of delta Dirac functions (with R. Álvarez-Nodarse, and F. Marcellán). Indagationes Mathematicae N.S., 15, pp.1-20, 2004.
- On the Krall-type polynomials (with R. Álvarez, and F. Marcellán). Journal of Applied Mathematics, 5, pp. 359-369, 2004.
- Modification of Linear Functionals with Dirac Masses: Class of the Modified Linear Functional (with A. Garrido, and F. Marcellán). Boletín de Matemáticas, 11, pp. 32-51, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, 2004.
- An electrostatic interpretation of the zeros of Freud-type orthogonal polynomials (with A. Garrido, and F. Marcellán). Electronic Transaction on Numerical Analysis, 19,pp. 37-47, 2005.
- Quantum algebras suq(2) and suq(1,1) associated with certain q-Hahn polynomials: A revisited approach. Electronic Transaction on Numerical Analysis, 24, pp. 24-44, 2006.
- On some properties of q-Hahn multiple orthogonal polynomials. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 233, pp. 1462-1469, 2010.
- A high order q-difference equation for q-Hahn multiple orthogonal polynomials (with C. Esposito), Journal of Difference Equations and Applications, 18(5), pp. 833-847, 2012.
- First order non-homogeneous q-difference equation for Stieltjes function characterizing q-orthogonal polynomials (with A. Soria), Journal of Difference Equations and Applications, 19(5), pp. 814-838, 2013.
- Asymptotics for Multiple Meixner Polynomials (with A. Aptekarev), Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, 411, pp. 485–505, 2014. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmaa.2013.09.057)
- On the q-Charlier Multiple Orthogonal Polynomial (with A.M. Ramírez-Aberasturis), Symmetry, Integrability and Geometry: Methods and Applications, 11 (2015), 026, 14 pages (http://www.emis.de/journals/SIGMA/2015/026/sigma15-026.pdf)
- Casorati type determinants of some q-classical orthogonal polynomials (with A. Durán), Proceedings of the AMS, 144 (4), pp. 1655–1668, 2016.
- On some Algebraic Properties for q-Meixner Multiple Orthogonal Polynomials of the First Kind (with A.M. Ramírez-Aberasturis), arXiv:1604.04920, 2016.